A common challenge landlords may encounter when renting out their home is dealing with mail from former renters, which can be unnecessarily time-consuming.

In this guide, we will provide you with practical steps to stop receiving mail from previous renters and address related concerns. By following these suggestions, you can mitigate the issue and ensure a smoother transition for your rental property.

How to Stop Receiving Mail from Previous Tenants

When it comes to stopping mail addressed to former tenants, there are several actions you can take:

“Return to Sender” or “Moved”

If you receive mail for previous tenants, write “No longer at this address,” “Return to Sender,” or “Moved” on the envelope and leave it in the mailbox for the postal carrier. This action alerts the carrier that the intended recipient no longer resides at your address. The carrier will then return the mail to the corresponding post office.

If there is a forwarding address available, the post office will forward the mail accordingly. If there is no forwarding address, the mail will be returned to the sender. This initial step helps ensure that future mail is directed to the correct recipients, and you only receive mail addressed to current or long-term tenants.

Cross Out the Barcode

In some cases, the mail may include a barcode that is used for automated sorting. Writing a message on the box or envelope may not prevent the mail from being delivered to your address. To overcome this, cross out the barcode and write “Not at this address” next to it.

Person holding a package with a shipping label and barcode on it

By doing so, you override the automated sorting system, ensuring that the mail is registered as “undeliverable” and returned to the sender. This step increases the likelihood of stopping the delivery of future mail for the previous tenant.

Leave a Note in the Mailbox

Taking the time to leave a note on or inside the mailbox for the mail carrier can make a significant difference. The note should clearly state that the former tenant no longer resides at the address and request that only mail for the current tenant be delivered.

This simple step can help the mail carrier recognize the change and sort future mail more accurately. It is important to maintain a respectful and cooperative relationship with the mail carrier, as they play a vital role in ensuring proper mail delivery.

Speak to the Mail Carrier or Postmaster

If mail continues to arrive for the previous tenant after attempting the above steps, it may be necessary to have a direct conversation with the mail carrier or visit the local post office to speak with the Postmaster.

Explain the situation politely and provide any relevant details. They can provide guidance and assistance in resolving the issue. Building a good relationship with your mail carrier and establishing open lines of communication can help ensure that mail delivery is accurate and efficient.

Person wearing a mask and holding a handful of mail packages

Addressing Mail-Related Concerns

Here are some additional questions fellow landlords often have regarding handling mail from previous tenants:

Do I Need to Have a Previous Tenant’s Forwarding Address?

Aside from the inconvenience of handling previous tenants' mail, there are other important reasons why having a forwarding address is crucial:

  • Security deposits: When a tenant moves out, returning their security deposit promptly is important. To do so, you need a valid forwarding address. It’s essential to have accurate contact information to complete the necessary financial transactions related to the rental property.

  • Legal actions: In some instances, landlords may need to take legal action against former tenants, such as pursuing a small claims court case for unpaid rent or damages to the property. Having a forwarding address is crucial for sending notices and letters related to legal proceedings.

Can I Open, Shred, or Throw Out a Previous Tenant's Mail?

It is illegal to open, shred, or discard someone else's mail. Respect the privacy and rights of the previous tenants by returning the mail to the sender or following the appropriate procedures outlined in this guide.

Can I File a Change of Address Form for the Former Renter?

It is illegal to file someone else’s Change of Address form without proper authorization. Only the previous tenant, a guardian, an executor, or an authorized agent can file a change of address form. If you need to update the tenant’s forwarding address, encourage the tenant to do so promptly and provide the necessary support or resources to help them complete the process.

Person writing on a printed paper on a clipboard

What Should I Do If I Keep Receiving a Deceased Tenant’s Mail?

If you receive mail for a deceased resident, handling it appropriately is crucial. Here are some steps you can take:

  • Visit the Direct Marketing Association site and submit the deceased tenant's name to minimize unnecessary mail and potential confusion.

  • Write “Deceased, return to sender” on the mail. Clearly marking the mail as “Deceased” alerts the postal service that the intended recipient is no longer alive. This action increases the chances of the mail being returned to the sender.

  • Speak with your mail carrier or visit the Postmaster to address the issue. They can provide guidance on handling mail for deceased tenants and offer additional assistance if needed.

  • Contact the relevant companies directly if necessary. If you have the contact information for the companies sending mail to the deceased tenant, reach out to them and inform them of the tenant's passing. They can update their records and ensure that future mail is directed appropriately.

Preventing Extended Mail Holding

While landlords and new residents are not responsible for holding mail indefinitely, it’s important to find a resolution. If a previous renter refuses to fill out a Change of Address form or provide a forwarding address, it may be necessary to seek legal intervention.

Familiarize yourself with the relevant landlord-tenant laws and consult with a lawyer to understand your options and the appropriate steps to take in your jurisdiction.

Person sitting at a desk in a legal office and making a call

Bottom Line

If you need help handling the responsibilities of managing a rental property, rely on Mark Thomas Properties Property Management! Contact us today to learn about our comprehensive property management solutions.